What is Message in a Bottle?
The Lions Message in a Bottle is a simple idea that encourages people to keep their basic personal and medical details in a common place where they can easily be found in an emergency.
How Does it Work?
The information is kept in a bottle. The bottle is kept in the fridge, where the emergency services will expect to find it in the event of being called to your home.
They will know you have a bottle by two labels. One is fixed on the inside of the front door or the main entrance to your home and the other to the door of your fridge.
What is the Cost?
It’s FREE. All costs are paid for by local Lions Clubs who have received generous donations from the public and businesses.
Where can You get a Bottle?
Health Centres, Doctor’s Surgeries and Chemists should have supplies. If you have difficulty, please contact us using the Contact Us page on this site.
What Information is Needed?
The information is very basic, but you may like to ask a relative, neighbour or carer to help you.
The details required are:
- You full name and a brief physical description
- You doctor’s name, surgery address and telephone number
- A brief description of any medical conditions you are suffering from
- Allergies and allergic reaction to medication
- The location of your medication in your home
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of two people who may be contacted in an emergency
- Details of any pets that may be on the premises
We also advise that you keep your repeat prescription list with your medication, this is of great help to paramedics.